Friday, July 25, 2014

Lula Divinia. Shiner.




The townhouse album feature returns with one from Shiner, one of the giants of 90's underground alternative. Grit, grunge, distortion, interesting time signatures, a healthy nod to the infinite beyond, trippy lyrics, and strained vocals are all sounds of the 90's underground scene.  Shiner was at the forefront of that sound and Lula Divinia is a prime example of what it was all about.  In Lula, the band explores both the heavier side of 90's push-the-envelope-alternative rock with "Third Gear Scratch" and "Shelf Life", and the more atmospheric tendencies of the era with "Pinned".  Lula Divinia holds a special place in my heart as one of the first albums that developed my mature taste in music, where I found what I liked, and wanted more of it. It was a milestone of my listening journey. It's definitely worth a listen.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment