Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Sentimental Experience of the Metal Kind

This video was one of the seminal music experiences of mine.  It was the first time I had heard Every Time I Die, and they changed my 12 year old life.  I didn't know metal could sound like anything other than Metallica, Trivium, or Slipknot.  And then I saw this music video.  These guys didn't look anything like a metal band, they didn't make songs like any kind of metal songs I had ever heard, and this music video was like no metal music video I had ever seen.  I realized then that metal wasn't about how many sections you could fit into ten minutes or how scary your mask could be.  It was about writing kick-ass music, and making a music video where the director beats you up at the end. It was genuine.  The colors in this video were and remain to me a symbol of the wonderful variety that exists in the often understood realm of heavy music.  So check it out, and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment